- My Care in Birmingham
- Spire Little Aston Hospital
- Badger Ltd – Out of Hours Service
- Clinical Commissioning Group
Bone and Joint Conditions
- Arthritis Care
- Arthritis Research Campaign
- National Osteoporosis Society
- National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society
Breast Cancer Awareness
If you are looking for information about the signs and symptoms of breast cancer and being breast aware, please see Breakthrough Breast Cancer’s website:
Being breast aware simply means knowing what your breasts look and feel like normally, being on the lookout for any unusual changes and getting them checked out by your doctor. It’s as simple as TLC
- TOUCH your breasts. Can you feel anything unusual?
- LOOK for changes. Is there any change in shape or texture
- CHECK anything unusual with your doctor.
All their resources can be ordered or downloaded for free. A full list of all their publications can be found on their website.
- Cancer Research UK
- Marie Curie Cancer Care
- Breakthrough Breast Cancer
- Breast Cancer Campaign
- Cancer Help
- MacMillan Cancer Relief
- Prostate Cancer Charity
- Baby Centre expert advice, up-to-date information and parent-to-parent support
- Antenatal and Newborn Screening Programmes.
- Breast Feeding advice.
- Childhood Immunisation Schedule information from NHS.
- Safe Sleep Video gives information on ensuring that your baby is sleeping safely?
- NHS Direct Online
Chlamydia Screening Programme
Contact Details for Local Counselling Services
Counselling and Mental Health
- Local Counselling Services
- Cruse: Bereavement Counselling
- Age Concern Birmingham Bereavement Support Service
- Bullying UK
- The Royal College of Psychiatrists
- The Silver Line – Helpline for older people
Drugs and Alcohol
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Know the Score: Information on Drugs
- Talk to Frank: Confidential drugs info. & advice
- Narcotics Anonymous UK
- Birmingham Public Health – Substance Misue – Contact support services for Drug & Alcohol use single point of contact 0300 5555 999.
- NHS Choices Healthy eating advice
- BBC Health
- Weight Loss for Good
- 5 A Day – NHS web site on eating more fruit & veg
- NHS Choices – library of interactive tools which includes a healthy weight calculator, guidance to help you check your moles and lots more.
- Be Active Birmingham – Be Active free scheme open to all Birmingham residents.
- British Heart Foundation
- Arrhythmia Alliance – Irregular Heart Beat Info.
- High Blood Pressure Foundation
- NHS Choices and Nutrition – These sites offers advise on healthy eating, keeping food safe, food labels and different health issues.
- BDA Weightwise – This site offers practical solutions for losing weight
- Teenweightwise – This site offers advise on healthy eating for teenagers
- Diet during pregnancy from NHS Choices – advice on what foods to eat, what to avoid, advice on supplements.
- commit2Bfit (for men) – Web based Weight Management Support free weight loss website for men includes 12 week plan.
- commit2Bslim (for ladies) – Web based Weight Management Support free weight loss website for men includes 12 week plan.
Making the Best of your Appointment
Translations of this information are available in Arabic, Bengali, French, Gujarati, Somali, Portuguese, Polish, Punjabi, Spanish and Urdu.
- NHS Choices Medicines Zone Your in-depth guide to medicines, prescriptions, immunisation, contraception and more.
Patient Information – Conditions and Treatments
- Patient Information Website patient.co.uk
- Best Treatments Information about which treatments work and which don’t based on the best and most up to date medical research.
- NHS Choices Information on conditions, treatments, local services and healthy living.
- NHS Choices Pregnancy Care Planner – Your NHS guide to having a baby
- Birth Choice UK – NHS Maternity Care
Psoriasis Patient Support Group
- Age UK
- Alzheimer’s Society UK
- Prostate Help Association
- Parkinson’s Disease Society
- Good for your Brain
- Family Planning Association: Sexual Health Advice
- British Pregnancy Advisory Service
- Sexual Dysfunction
- No Smoking Day – Find out more about people like you ready to kick the habit.
- Click to Quit: Smoking Cessation Advice
- ASH: Action on Smoking and Health
- Smoking Cessation: NHS Choices Site
- Gosmokefree – This website contains detailed information about the free NHS support services.
- Smoking Quitters Cost Tool – Calculate the money you will save with NHS Direct quitters cost calculator and plan how to spend it.
- Talk to Frank – the A-Z of drugs and ways to help kick the habit.
- Teenage Health Freak – teenage health problems discussed.
- Visit TheSite – a health website designed specifically for teenagers and under 24’s. Provides specific Information on registering with a GP.
- Visit Netdoctor Q and A’s – hundreds of health issues experienced by teenagers – written by doctors.
- For more information about young people and doctor confidentiality visit BBC Health.
- Off The Record offers counselling support and information for young people aged 11-25.
- NHS Choices Teenage Health for girls
- NHS Choices Teenage Health for boys